Important Reasons to Wear Mouthguards in Sports
Your teeth and smile are precious, so why risk them during athletic activity? A mouthguard is a device made of soft plastic or a similar material, and is placed in the mouth during sports to prevent injuries and damage to the teeth, cheeks, gums, mouth, tongue and jaw. Mouthguards are most commonly used in contact sports like boxing, football, and hockey, but there are many reasons to consider wearing a mouthguard in non-contact sports as well:
- According to the American Dental Association, an athlete is 60 times more likely to suffer damage to the teeth if they don’t wear a mouthguard.
- Mouthguards prevent damage to the mouth and teeth by absorbing some of the shock of the blow
- Even in non-contact sports like gymnastics, skateboarding, and basketball, oral injuries are still common, and can be prevented by mouthguard use.
Now that you know why mouthguard use is so important, you can choose one that is right for you:
- Custom-made mouthguards are made for you personally by your dentist for the ultimate comfort and fit. They can be more expensive than others because they are custom.
- Boil and bite mouthguards can be bought at many sports stores, and are first softened by boiling water. Then the athlete will bite down on the softened mouthguard, which will then adapt to the unique shape of your mouth and teeth
- Stock mouthguards are usually bulky, and often don’t form a good fit, but they are usually cheaper and can be found in sporting goods stores.
After you purchase a mouthguard, store it in a case for safe keeping, and clean it regularly. If you’re looking for more great oral health tips, contact us.